Top five Grade I listed buildings in Chester

Chester is a gem of city with rich architectural significance, but what are this historic community’s best protected buildings? Here are our five favourites:

Abbey Gateway

The gateway which now connects Abbey Square, Northgate Street and the Market Square was constructed as a gatehouse in the 14th Century. Some believe it was built in 1377 during the final year of Edward III’s reign; others, however, date the structure back to 1300. Built using red sandstone, it is of the ‘decorated Gothic’ style and has a 16-pane window within a Gothic arch, rebuilt in 1800.

Falcon Inn

This public house on Lower Bridge Street is believed to have been built around 1200. Its original purpose was a house and, after extensions and re-builds during the centuries that followed, it eventually gained a license to become The Falcon Inn. Purchased by Sir Richard Grosvenor in 1602, it was donated to the Falcon Trust by the Grosvenor Estate in 1979. The timber-framed building was the first to enclose its portion of the row to increase its size in the 17th Century.

Old Dee Bridge

The red sandstone bridge was built around 1387, on the site of a number of earlier wooden bridges dating back to the Roman era. It crosses the River Dee from the road leading off Lower Bridge Street, and it is thought that Prince Edward ordered the construction of the bridge in 1357. There are seven arches in total, all of which are pleasantly uneven.

Phoenix Tower

Also known as Newton and King Charles’ Tower, the imposing Phoenix Tower is situated on the northeast corner of Chester’s magnificent city walls. The red sandstone structure is believed to have been built at some point in the 13th Century and stands 21 metres high. The tower was constructed in four stages, with the lower two levels situated below the walkway. It became known as the Phoenix Tower after the city guild company of stationers, embroiders, glaziers and painters who used it as a meeting place.

St Mary’s Centre

St Mary’s is a marvellous converted church that sits on top of St Mary’s Hill, close to Chester Castle. Formerly the Church of St Mary-on-the-Hill, this magnificent red sandstone structure dates back to the 14th Century. One of Chester’s nine medieval parish churches, the building was damaged during the Civil War and also during the Jacobite rebellion of 1745.

Posted by Mark
January 8, 2015
Features

No Comments »

No comments yet.

RSS feed for comments on this post. TrackBack URL

Leave a comment

Menu Title