Can I build a pub in my garden without planning permission?

If you’re looking to create an outdoor space that you can enjoy with family and friends, you might have considered constructing a pub or bar area in your garden. Perfect for creating a party atmosphere, you can serve your guests a cold drink to accompany a barbecue or other outdoor event behind a bar of your very own.

If you’re fortunate enough to have the available space in your garden, a personal pub can certainly be a lot of fun, but you might be wondering if building such a structure requires planning permission from your local authority. Read on for some pertinent points you need to account for when planning a pub within the bounds of your property:

Built-for-purpose rules

You will need permission in many different circumstances – for example, if your planned pub will have two storeys or eaves placed above two metres in height. Additionally, if the structure is four metres tall or over with a pitched roof, or three metres tall with any other type of roof, you will also require authority to build.

You will also need permission if the building will cover more than half of your outside area –this includes any existing structures already in place. For example, if you already have a shed and greenhouse on your property, these will be included in the 50 percent limit. If you would like your new pub area to have any raised potions, such as a balcony or veranda, you must also apply for approval. Finally, regardless of any size restrictions, if your home is a listed building, you will always need a green light from planners before building can commence.

Although planning an outdoor building that you simply intend to socialise in doesn’t always require permission from council planners, getting some advice from professional architects can be beneficial when drawing up plans. If the dimensions of your pub extend beyond the established limits laid down by councils, you’ll need to apply for approval. An architect can ensure you stay within the accepted dimensions and stick within local government guidelines to avoid this stage entirely, saving you the wasted expense and disappointment if the council insists you take down your new pub.

The difference between incidental and ancillary

To avoid planning permission, your planned outbuilding for a pub must be designed for incidental use. If it could potentially supply conventional rooms or sleeping quarters, it is considered as ancillary to the main house and requires approval. Professional architects can make certain your building fits within the rules outlined by the authorities and also help you ensure it can be effectively connected to your electricity supply for lighting and heating, as well as your water mains if necessary for cleaning up after family and friends.

Architects can also help you source suitable building materials, including insulation, so you can use your pub all year round. With connections to local suppliers, they can also often save you both time and money when it comes to acquiring all you need for your new outbuilding.

Lastly, if your desired structure does require approval, an architect can act as an agent for you and handle the planning permission process on your behalf.

Posted by Mark
October 7, 2020

No Comments »

No comments yet.

RSS feed for comments on this post. TrackBack URL

Leave a comment