What are Ellesmere Port’s listed buildings?

Ellesmere Port has a rich architectural history, and has many notable listed buildings. Here’s a look at a few of them:

Queens Cinema

The Queens Cinema in Whitby Road was built between 1912 and 1913 and is a grade II listed building.

The cinema is constructed using rendered brick and painted at the front. It has a hipped roof. The foyer leads to double height auditorium with a balcony. The wall separating the foyer from the auditorium is pilaster and has an urn finial.

The lower storey has channeled rustication and the upper has pseudo ashlar. The upper story features two windows. Outside, over the entrance is a baroque cartouche which as the numbers 1913 inscribed, the completion date of the building.

Inside the auditorium, there is a circular central ceiling bay leaf decoration. To the left of the foyer is a narrow staircase that leads to a small upper foyer outside the balcony.

Laster roundels in the ceiling surround ventilation outlets. There is a late twentieth century proscenium arch featuring chamfered corners.

The Queen’s Cinema is a typical example of early cinema design featuring a neo-baroque facade. The last film was shown in 1968. The building was a bingo hall for a while and is now used as a bathroom showroom. Many of the original features of the building have been preserved.

Bewley’s and Weaver’s Bridge

Bewley’s Bridge and Weaver’s Bridge span the Ellesmere Port and Neston Shropshire Union Canal. They are Grade II listed buildings.

Built in 1795, Bewley’s Bridge is a single span bridge. The superintending engineer was Thomas Telford. It features an elliptical arch between battered abutments. There are curving 2 brick bands on the road level. On the parapet walls are stone copings and the west stone abutments feature yellow stone quoins. The towpath has retaining walls of heavy sandstone blocks.

In 2015 the towpath leading to the bridge was upgraded to an all weather surface to allow walkers, bikers, and joggers to enjoy all year round access to Bewley’s Bridge.

Weaver’s Bridge is another Grade II listed building, and like Bewley’s Birge spans the Ellesmere Port and Neston Shropshire Union Canal. It is also a single span bridge built by Thomas Telford. Its 3 centre arch is between battered abutments. At road level is a 2 course curving brick band. It has flush chamfered sandstone coping and parquet rendered brick walls.

Ellesmere Port Railway Station

Ellesmere Port Railway station is a terminal station for two lines, the Wirral Line and the Merseyrail Network.

The station was opened in 1863 when it was situated on a branch line of the Birkenhead Railway on the Hooton to Helsby route. It was originally called Whitby Locks and changed its name to Ellesmere Port in 1870, It is now a grade II listed building.

The station retains most of its original features. It is partly a two storey structure with 1 storey extensions. It has coursed rock-faced sandstone walls and features coped Dutch gables. The roof is grey slate.The building has cream stone chamfered window reveals and casements. It stone chimneys is topped by red brick diamond flues.

The station entrance has heavy 2 panel double doors. A glazed projecting porch with sandstone plinth leads to the station master’s house. The platform has a canopy with decorative cast iron columns.

St John’s Church

St John’s Church and Hall in Long Sutton is a sandstone building with slate roofs built between 1879 and 1880. It features a nave, a south west porch, a chancel and north vestry.

The cylindrical turret has a clock face and a lancet bell opening. It is topped with a conical spire and lucerines.

The T shaped church hall is in the Gothic style and has a roof with a slated fléche. Between the church and the hall is wrought iron gate hung on iron gate posts.

The entrance to the church grounds has a lych gate and stone walls.

Christ Church

Christ Church in Station Road is another listed church building in the Ellesmere Port Area, It was designed by architects Penson and Ritchie and built between 1869 and 1871.

The church is a sandstone building to a cruciform design with a 4 bay nave, chancel, single bat north and south transepts and a vestry. The vestry and the transept are gabled. The south side tower has louvered bell openings and a pyramid spire.

There are three large windows, the three light east window with geometric tracery, a two light transept window and nave three light window.

The church grounds have 26 war graves, 25 for soldiers of World War I and a grave for a Royal Naval seaman who died in the Second World War.

Chester Road houses

Chester Road has the distinction of having many listed buildings that range in age from the early 18th century to 1835.

The house at 180 Chester Road is a two storey cottage built in the early 18th century with attic rooms and a slate roof. It is constructed from brick on a stone plinth with bands painted between the floors.

The nearby 174 Chester Road is a pebbledashed cottage built in 1746. It has two stories, a slate roof and an attic. It is noticeable for its original sash windows.

A pair of 1830s built stuccoed houses are situated at 78 and 80 Chester Road. No 78 has a slated roof and no 80 has concrete roof tiles. The homes feature pedimented gables canted bay sash windows and architraves.

Behind no 78 are stables built in around the same times as the house at No 78, the 1830s. It is a painted block stable now partly converted into garages, but it retains many of its original features including the groom’s room and iron hay racks.

Numbers 354 and 356 are a pair of stuccoed semi-detached houses built in 1835. The houses feature slate roofs, gables and open pediments. The windows have plaster architraves and pediments.

The Ellesmere Port area has a wealth of fascinating architecture of interest to anyone who likes building design.

Posted by Mark
December 8, 2017
General

No Comments »

No comments yet.

RSS feed for comments on this post. TrackBack URL

Leave a comment

Menu Title